Epilogue


It’s been 5 years since that night in my game room. 5 years of wondering what would have happened if that game had ended differently. It’s been a wild time. The shop has never been busier. The guys come in every couple of months, when they can, and the place goes nuts. In the beginning, we had to shut down for the day, just so they could get done without being mobbed. The first time they came in, I caught one of the girls taking a lock of hair from the floor. They’re pretty used to it now. I will say: turnover in the salon is at an all-time low.

I still do Jon’s hair personally. He doesn’t want anyone else, and frankly, that’s fine by me. Believe me, it’s no hardship working with that glorious hair. He still lets me do what I want with it, so it’s been pretty much the same since the first time I cut it. There’s no sense in changing something that isn’t broken, right?

In the past five years, I’ve been so many places, seen so many things, it’s hard to keep track. I’ve been all over the country and all over the world, and –

What? Did you think I sunk that shot?

I could have.

It would have been the easiest shot in the world to make. I mean I couldn’t have had the balls lined up any better if I had placed them there myself.

I mean, really, our three-year old could have made a shot like that. In fact, she has. She’s quite the little pool shark. She gets that from her Momma. When she was learning, she pouted when things didn’t go her way. Her little blue eyes got dark and crinkly, and her nose wrinkled just a little, and those tiny little frown lines that formed between her fine, light brows? She gets that from her dad.


16 comments:

Unknown said...

Great ending to a great story!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED IT!!! LOVED IT!!! LOVED IT!!!! What a perfect ending! Just perfect! Now I'm gonna go get a pool table & practice in case Jon should ever step into my life! LOL!!

Starr said...

OMG! That was SO good! I got tears in my eyes at the last paragraph I was so moved.

Jen the greatest things about your writing is that you make almost every paragraph an adventure in itself. If I didn't know better and from your profile there is nothing to make me think otherwise, but you write as if you are a professional writer. If you aren't you should consider publishing something. After all Terri did, you could too.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful fantasy! (sigh)

Anonymous said...

Hey that was great - loved the way it played out - Smart women that Diane - Perfect ending! Thanks for sharing your talent with us :)
Chris

fanofjbj said...

What a fun fantasy ride that was. I hope you keep up these encounters, you really make it a great read. :)
Denise

The Goddess Hathor said...

You guys are gonna give me a big ego! Seriously, though, I'm glad my writing is entertaining for you; and I'm even more glad that you want to come back for more!

With this one, I'll admit that I knew how it was going to turn out all along (as I'm sure y'all did) but I wasn't sure how I was going to make it happen. The game of pool just sort of popped into my head partway through chapter eight.

I will toot my own horn at the ending of this one. I'm pretty pleased at the way I handled it. I hope for just a minute that you guys thought she sunk the shot. Just for a minute.

Thanks for your loyalty and your supportive comments.

Love you guys!!

-- Hathor

T said...

Jen,
I finally took time away from playing THREE different characters on that 'forum' story I started to catch up on my reading! This was so great! Loved it a lot, and I could tell from the details that you must play pool. I do, not a shark, but I can hold my own. The game was so detailed, I could see it like I was watching the championship on TV. Great writing, G/F!

~T

Anonymous said...

Great story Hathor. Loved the ending! Keep up the good work; looking forward to reading more!

Cheri

Anonymous said...

That was an awesome story. Looking forward to reading more stories on your sight.

Marie

Anonymous said...

Wow Hathor what a great story! You never leave me disappointed! Now get to work and write some more...lol
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Awesome story-I really enjoyed it-the detail and depth of the characters were amazing given the shorter length! I am glad to see a happy ending too!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

GREAT STORY!! Keep 'em coming!

Opester said...

Great story! You're writing is fabulous and your characters really come alive! I enjoyed reading this one just as much the second time through!

Anonymous said...

Great story, love how you told it!
Ending was just perfect!

Alexandra said...

Hath you so had me thinking she sunk the shot. I was like NO NO NO NO NO. :D Loved it (as always).

Anonymous said...

Ok, I really enjoyed this story. Well done...