Chapter 14


After that, we were spent, literally. We napped again – this time I slept with him. I set an alarm though, so we wouldn’t sleep too long. I didn’t want the entire night to slip away. When the blaring horn of the alarm clock went off, I was momentarily disoriented – it was quite dark and there was a heavy arm draped across my body. It took a minute to extricate myself from his grasp to reach across to turn off the offensive device. Jon grouched into my hair, “What time is it?”

“It’s nearly two,” I said.

“Shit.” He sat up and rubbed a hand roughly over his face and through his hair. “Where’s your bathroom?”

“Across the hall,” I answered,

Jon kissed me and stood. God, he looks good naked, all rumpled with a pillowcase crease on his cheek. Sexier than any man has the right to look – and he doesn’t even have to try. He smiled down at me. “Give me five minutes, then come in after me, okay?”

“Okay,” I said. I wasn’t quite awake yet, and watched the muscles of his legs and ass move as he left the room. I tossed on a light robe and scooted downstairs to use the other bathroom. When I was finishing up, I heard the upstairs toilet flush and the shower start. That’s why he wanted me to give him five minutes. I hurried back upstairs and crept into the bathroom. He didn’t hear me, and I stopped dead in the doorway. Jon had his arms braced against the wall, letting the spray pummel his face. He had his head tipped back, and his eyes closed, and I took another mental snapshot.

Jon sensed me watching him, and said, “Are you just gonna stand there all day and stare at me, Brooklyn, or are you gonna come in and join me?”

“Give me a break, Jersey,” I said. “This is a lot for me to process, you know.”

“Why?”

What? Is he shitting me? “Are you kidding me? You do know who you are, right?”

Jon chuckled. “I thought I was just some guy who needed to lighten up?”

“You are,” I laughed, “but you’re also Mr. Rock Star, and the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen, so excuse the hell out of me if I have to pinch myself once in a while.”

“I’ll do that for you, if you’d like,” he said with a leer.

“No, thanks, I can manage.” I shook my head as I dropped my robe to the floor. “Move over and quit hogging all the hot water.” I opened the shower door, but he didn’t move. “What?” I asked.

“Are you sure you won’t come with me?” Jesus, he was serious. “A guy could get used to having you around, and I still have ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred, and ninety-eight more times to make love to you.” I laughed out loud, and he smiled and continued talking. “I meant what I said before you know.”

I shoved him playfully out of my way and stepped into the steamy shower. “Which part did you mean?”

“All of it. I want you around me. I genuinely like you, you’re fun and you make me laugh. You’re funny and bold and beautiful and you have a way with hair, well, I’d be remiss if I didn’t try to get you on my team.”

I looked at him. “I’m glad you phrased it that way, putting the hair skill thing last,” I said. I let out a big sigh. “Look, this is a big decision for me. I’ve owned my own business for years, and it’s hard to give that up. Give me a little time to think about it.”

“But, it’s not a ‘no’ anymore?” God he looked like a little kid asking his mom for a puppy. How could anyone deny this man anything? I guess not too many do. I wrapped my arms around him and gave him a kiss, molding my body to his.

“It’s not a ‘no’.”

We celebrated my non-rejection in grand style (does he ever run out?) and ended up collapsed in an exhausted heap on the shower floor.

Whatever it is you’re thinking? Yep, we did. Twice.

Ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred, and ninety-six to go.

2 comments:

Starr said...

God Jen talk about prolific writers! You're definitely one of those. I didn't check the Salon yesterday and I come here today and there are not one but three new chapters!

I'm not complaining though. Loved this one, great interaction between the both of them!

The Goddess Hathor said...

Thanks, Starr. I pretty much was having a hell of a time keeping up with this, the beach story, and the Rental story; especially since I'm now "playing" on T's Football board FF. Sigh. Damn stupid day job.

Thanks for the comments, o faithful reader! *giggle*snort* (sorry, I'm in a weird place tonight!)