Chapter 2



Turning on the dryer, I came out, rolling my sleeves as I went. Imagine the kick to the head I felt when I saw who was in my chair! Now, to be honest, I noticed the hair first. In my defense, I couldn’t see the reflection in the mirror, but damn, that hair! It was enough to make my mouth run dry. Shoulder length, sun-kissed dirty-blonde, lightly waved – oh my God! I was so looking forward to getting my hands into that! As I got closer, my angle of vision changed, and I saw his reflection in the mirror. I stopped in my tracks. “Holy Hell,” I said. I’m pretty sure I said that out loud.

Smooth as silk, he said, “Sorry for the fake name, but,” he smiled a little half-smile, “it’s tough getting around unnoticed these days.”

Understatement of the century, that. After a very public, very nasty break up with his wife (if you believe the papers, she was cheating on him with a long-time family friend. I mean really, if you had this at home, would you go looking elsewhere? Would you really cheat on this man? With him? Sure. On him? No way. I wasn’t alone on this train of thought – my sisters on the Topix forum were all with me) he was all over the tabloids every time he stepped foot out of his apartment. I guess that’s why he came here instead of his regular place? Why not just have someone come to him? Actually who cares! He’s here. In my chair. On purpose. This is literally a dream come true.

Giving myself a mental shake, I strode across the rest of the room, and offered my hand. “I’m Diana,” I said, pretty sure I wasn’t shaking too badly. “Thanks for coming in. How’d you hear about me?”

Then Jon grinned. Actually grinned that megawatt, eye-crinkling smile at me. I almost came right then and there. “A friend of a friend recommended this place on a Thursday night if I was looking to be somewhat incognito. I can’t get near my regular place lately, and,” he ran his hand impatiently through hair that refused to stay out of his eyes. “I simply can’t wait anymore to have this tamed,” he said as he indicated that gorgeous mop of hair.

“Well, I sure do appreciate it.” God, I sound like an idiot. “Sorry, I’m usually much more well-spoken. You surprised the hell out of me,” I said with a laugh that I hope to God didn’t come out as breathy as it sounded to me.

He just chuckled. “I do have that effect on people. Actually, that’s one of the best parts of my job.”

“Really?” I said, not quite believing him. “Huh. I would have thought the best part was having a job you love, where you actually enjoy going to work, like me.” I winked at him. “Either that, or the pots of money you make or the tons of women who throw themselves at – ” I slammed my mouth shut and clamped both hands over it. OK. I need to shut up now. Jon just arched one eyebrow at me. God. “Sorry,” I said. “Occupational hazard. I make conversation about whatever pops into my head. Don’t mind me.” I passed a hand in front of my face. “OK, the filter is back in place now.”

He laughed at that. A low, deep chuckle that had my toes curling in my Keds. Good Lord, I need to pull myself together. He’s a client, for Christ’s sake. “OK, so, what are we doing to your hair tonight?”

“Nothing too dramatic,” he said on a sigh. “I’d never hear the end of it. I guess keep it like it is, just shorter so I can see where I’m goin’.’

“Darlin’, it’s your head, your hair. I’ll do whatever you want, short of a buzz cut. Frankly, I didn’t like that ultra-short look on you., It showed off your cheekbones to perfection, but a little longish through here,” I put a hand into the hair on his forehead, and nearly passed out from the feel of it, “will really show off your eyes. Much sexier than the short ‘do. Besides,” I put a hand into the hair on either side of his face, and continued, “women like something to hold onto when you kiss ‘em.”

My witty repartee was met with a full throated belly laugh. What an intoxicating sound. “Jesus, Diana,” he said. “You’re good for my ego. I’ve been getting so much shit lately about the divorce, I feel like I’ve become one of those untouchable people. You, I like. OK, baby, I leave myself in your very small, delicate, but capable hands.” He grinned at me again. “Have your way with me.”

1 comments:

Alexandra said...

Hath I love your stories. Youre a mega writer.
Great story so far. Loved "Have your way with me". Who wouldnt love to hear those words from him!!
Eventually Ill get the guts to put my FF up.